WING (or Wenge) is a parish and large village, 3 miles south-west from Leighton Buzzard station on the main line of the London, Midland and Scottish railway: it is the head of a rural district, in the Buckingham division of the county, hundred of Cottesloe, petty sessional division of Linslade, county court district of Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Ivinghoe, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. In former days Wing was a place of some importance; in the year 1255 a charter was granted to Peter de Warren by Henry III for a market every Thursday and a fair for three days at Michaelmas. Gas and electricity are available. Water is supplied by the Wing Rural District Council.
The church of All Saints is an edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower (restored in 1925) containing a clock and 6 bells: the church dates from the 10th century, according to the Histori[c]al Monuments Commissioners: the most interesting feature in the church is its apsidal polygonal chancel, which is considerably elevated above the nave, and has beneath it a crypt of rude construction about eight feet in height: an arcade runs round the outside of the apse: the windows are much later: the nave has arcades of massive arches dividing it from the aisles, and the three westernmost are Saxon, the eastern, Early English: there are some good Early Decorated windows and a north doorway of that period, but the tower, font and south porch are Perpendicular; the base of a Norman font may be seen in the south porch: the rood screen has been partially restored: there is another screen in the south aisle.
There are monuments to the family of Fynes, from 1686 to 1758, including one to Henry Fynes esq. said to be the work of Roubiliac, and several costly memorials to the Dormers ranging from 1552 to 1695; these include in the north aisle a fine Palladian altar tomb and canopy to Sir Robert Dormer kt. ob. 1552, around which, until 1850, was a large pew with baluster screen; in the chancel a fine altar tomb of marble, with kneeling effigies and Corinthian columns supporting a cornice with a shield of arms, to Sir Robert Dormer kt. ob. 1616, and Elizabeth his wife; opposite is another altar tomb with recumbent effigies of marble, partly gilt, under a canopy, supported by columns of Sicilian jasper, with marble caps and adorned with five shields of arms, to Sir William Dormer K.B. ob. 17 May, 1575, and Dorothy (Catesby), his second wife, and below these are figures of children: there are also brasses to Harry Blacknall, 1460, and Agnes, his wife, 1489 and others; John Theede, 1622; and Thomas Cotes, “porter at Ascott Hall,” 1648, who is represented by a kneeling effigy, with staff lying at his feet, and a high crowned hat and key behind him; and in the church are also memorials to the families of Redman, 1699-1729; and Bell, 1721-38; to Mrs. Bridgett Neale, 1677; William Theed, gent. 1757: the church was completely restored in 1850 and again in 1893: in 1904 the chapel of St. Catherine in the south aisle was restored in memory of Mr. Charles Cotes J.P. of Burcott, and is used for daily service: the church affords 300 sittings: in the churchyard are remains of a stone cross: the lychgate was erected in the memory of Rev. F.H. Tatham M.A. vicar 1890-1918.
The register dates from the year 1546, and is perfect from that date; there is also an ancient book of churchwardens’ accounts with an inventory of church goods, 1527. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £308, with 225 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1932 by the Rev. Ernest Crane, who is also rector of Grove. The Methodist chapel, built in 1864, will seat 350 persons; and the Methodist chapel, built in 1847, has 200 sittings. A Hall was erected in 1905, at a cost of about £2,000, in memory of the late Mr. Charles Cotes. In 1914 additional rooms were built by Mrs Sassoon in memory of Mr A Sassoon, and now used as a village club, in connection with which is a village lending library, in memory of Major Evelyn de Rothschild.
Dormer’s Hospital, founded in 1569 by Dame Dorothy Pelham, for eight men and women, is endowed with land and money invested in Consols, producing a total gross income of about £110 yearly. William Robinson’s charity of £2 a year is for clothing; Lady Carnarvon and William Hoare’s charity, arising from the rent of a field of about six acres at Burcott, now let for £10a year, is for clothing and blankets; William Dent’s of £59 in Consols, is distributed in clothing; Robert Shepherd’s, a rent-charge of £3 3s. 4d. arising from land in the parish of Edlesborough is distributed in penny loaves to seventeen children attending the church weekly; there is also the Fuel Allotment Charity, consisting of about £7 a year, arising from £268 9s. 1d. £2¾ per Cent. Consols and distributed annually in coals; the Church Land Charity, of about £268 in Consols, derived from the sale of about three acres of land in the parish of Mentmore, which yields about £7 yearly, devoted to the maintenance of the fabric, and a sum of about £12 arising from Pratt’s charity at Wingrave, which is distributed amongst the poor at the discretion of the trustees. Miss Louise Mudie, lady superintendent.
The Earl of Rosebery D.S.O., M.C., M.F.H. and Anthony Gustav de Rothschild esp. are the principal landowners of Wing proper. The soil is various, clay, sand, gravel and loam; subsoil, clay. The crops are hay, wheat, beans, barley, oats and roots. The area is 5,698 acres of land and 5 of water; the population in 1931 was 1,415.
BURCOTT is a hamlet about 1 mile north. Buckinghamshire County Council are the principal landowners.
CRAFTON is a hamlet 2 miles south, and has a Methodist chapel, built in 1889. The Earl of Rosebery D.S.O., M.C., M.F.H. is the principal landowner, he has a breeding stud here.
LITTLEWORTH is a hamlet half a mile north, and has a Congregational Union chapel, built in 1854 and rebuilt in 1871, with 150 sittings.
ASCOTT is a hamlet half a mile east. Ascott, the residence of Anthony Gustav de Rothschild esq. is a Jacobean structure of brick and timber, dating from 1600, and was originally a farm house, but was restored and enlarged about 1874, and again in 1880, 1887, 1893 and 1911; in 1939 it was entirely reconstructed and is now a considerable mansion. The kennels are now occupied by the Whaddon Chase Hunt; the Earl of Rosebery D.S.O., M.C. is master: the pack comprises 35 couples of foxhounds, and hunts on Tuesdays and Saturdays and bye days up to Christmas; Aylesbury, Winslow, Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard are convenient centres: Leighton Buzzard, 2 miles distant, is the nearest railway station to the kennels. The old Hall, which stood in Wing park, has now wholly disappeared, but some traces of the fish ponds, bowling green and moat still remain. In the latter part of the 12th century there existed here a cell of Benedictine monks founded by the Empress Maud, and attached to the Abbey of St. Nicholas of Angers; it was afterwards granted by Henry V. to the priory of St. Mary de la Pre, near St. Albans, and subsequently at the Reformation passed into the hands of the Dormer family.
COTTESLOE is a hamlet in this parish.
Post, M.O. & T. Office. Letters through Leighton Buzzard (Beds).
WING RURAL DISTICT COUNCIL
Meets at the Council offices, Linslade, every first and third tuesday at 10.30 a.m. The parishes in the district are:- Aston Abbots, Cheddington, Cublington, Edlesborough, Great Brickhill, Grove, Ivinghoe, Marsworth, Mentmore, Pitstone, Slapton, Soulbury, Stoke Hammond, Wing & Wingrave. The area is 36,458 acres; the population in 1931 was 6,837.
Chairman, Geo. Henry Southall, The Tollgate, Wing
Clerk, M. C. Clifford, Council offices, Linslade
Treasurers, Barclays Bank Ltd, Leighton Buzzard
Medical Officer of Health, William Holberton Square L.R.C.P & S.Edin Leighton Buzzard
Sanitary Inspector & Surveyor, W. E. Thompson P.A.S.I., A.R.San.I., M.G.I.A., Linslade, Leighton Buzzard
Conveyance – Motor omnibuses pass through the village to & from Leighton Buzzard, Winslow & Aylesbury
(For T-Ns see general list of Private Residents at end of book [added in below)
|Chapman Mrs||Wantage House|
|Crane Rev. Ernest William||Vicar, Vicarage|
|Dunkerley Mrs||The Old House [T N 46]|
|Grant Alan Hamilton||Charlotte cott [T N 261]|
|Harris Mrs Hedley||Rothschild cottage, Vicarage Lane [T N 33]|
|Heley Arthur Somes||Fairview|
|Henry Lady||The Gate house|
|Merry Maj. William Haslam||High Meadows [T N 50]|
|Merry Arthur Walker||Moor hills [T N 10]|
|Southall George Henry||The Tollgate [T N 23]|
|Tatham Misses||Dormers [T N 16]|
|Thompson Eric C.O.||The Cottage [T N 49]|
|Walker Francis J.||Leighton road [T N 30]|
|White Chas. Percy||Warwick house [T N 59]|
|Woodman Arthur Vere|
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over
|Ascott Estate Office||Jn. R.T. Tarver J.P., agt, Eric C.O. Thompson, subagent T N Leighton Buzzard 3132|
|Bandy Hy. Chas. Marlow||Leighton rd. T N 57|
|Beeson Wltr||boot repr|
|Bonham Wm. Geo.||baker|
|Carter Lionel||farmer, Waterloo frm|
|Chappell Edwd.||farmer, Red House fm|
|Cleaver Ernest Geo. Thos.||grocer & sub-postmaster T N 39|
|Cock Hotel||Archbld. Jn. Johnson, T N 14|
|o Coleman Bros.||farmers, North Cottesloe|
|Cutler Harold||boot repr|
|Dollimore Edwd. Geo.||coal mer. T N 5|
|Dove Inn||Rt. Geo. Obsborn|
|Evans Wm. Ernest||baker, Vicarage la|
|o Fountaine Bernard Whitehall||farmer, Low. Wingbury T N 13|
|Gates Roy||insur. Agt. Avondale, Rothschild rd|
|Grant Alan Hamilton||M.R.C.S. L.R.C.P. physcn. & surgn. Charlotte cott. T N 261|
|Green W. & Sons||dairymen T N 26|
|Green Walter John||builder|
|Heading Horace||watch repr|
|Leetham Claude Rt.||horse breeder, Cottesloe stud T N 28|
|Leighton Buzzard Co-operative Society Ltd|
|Lovell Louie (Miss)||shopkpr|
|o Manning William F.||farmer, West Park farm T N Aston Abbotts 7|
|Maynard Geo.||motor car hirer, Brookleigh, High st. T N 6|
|o Morris Wm||frmr, Wing pk TN6|
|Mortimer Louis||battery charger|
|Page Arth.||corn mer. Church rd T N 7|
|Page Jsph||farmer, Oxley’s farm|
|Pantling J.C & Son (J.E. Pantling, proprietor)||cycle agents, petrol service station|
|Pease Benj.||boot repr|
|Piper Sydney Wofforne||genl draper|
|Pretty Sydney||shopkpr. Rothschild rd. T N 18|
|Queens’ Head P.H.||Harry T. W. Wheeler, teas and refreshments|
|Randall Fred||seed fctr|
|Randall Joseph||chimney sweeper|
|Redrup Norman Jn.||house decrtr|
|Roberts Harry Christophr||bldr. Rothschild rd|
|Roper Hy. Kenneth||hairdrssr|
|Syratt Herbt. Lionel||farmer, Waterloo farm|
|o Tayler Geo. Bernard||farmer, Upper Wingbury. T N 27|
|Tuckwell Sarah Maria (Mrs.)||shopkpr|
|Underwood E. jun.||smith|
|Village Hall & Club||F.D. Wood, hon. sec|
|Warren Lewis||farmer, Old Park farm T N 19|
|Westbrook Wltr||shopkpr High st|
|Whitman Helen (Mrs.)||shopkpr|
|Wilson Ted||horse breaker, High st. T N 35|
|Buchanan John Nevile||D.S.O., M.C., Ascott lodge [T N Wing 21]|
|Rothschild Anthony Gustav de||Ascott [T N 2278]|
|Tarver John R.T.||J.P. Low. Ascott [T N 2196]|
|Woodward Frank Lionel.||The Kennels [T N 3128]|
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over
|Bond Stanley||head gardener to Anthony Gustav de Rothschild esq|
|Edgar John||clerk of works to Anthony Gustav de Rothschild C.B.E.|
|Tarver Jn. R. T.||J.P. agt. to Ascott estate. T N Leighton Buzzard 2196|
|o Watson Wltr. E.||farm bailiff to Anthony Gustav de Rothschild esq. Ascott farm T N Wing 11|
|Woodward Frank Lionel||huntsman to the Whaddon Chase. T N Leighton Buzzard 3126|
|Field Henry Hatton||Burcott house [T N Wing 45]|
|Southern Walter Duckett||Burcott cot [T N Wing 9]|
|Tabor Mrs||Burcott lodge [T N Wing 53]|
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over
|Lawrence Saml.||smallholder, Burcott Hall farm|
|Roberts Morris||farmer, Mount Pleasant farm|
|Tims Thos. Edwd.||smallholder|
|Winter Bernard Bradbury||farmer, Burcott lodge. Wing 17|
|Ward Wm.||stud groom to Earl of Rosebery’s stud farm. Wing 36|
|Whittenbury Jasper||gamekeeper to Earl of Rosebery D.S.O., M.C., M.F.H.|
|Faulkner Lawrence B.||brick maker|
|Page J.W. (Harry Page, propr)||butcher. Wing 8|
|Randall Winifred (Miss)||shopkpr|
|Sportsman’s Arms P.H.||Ernest J Pattenden|