The following links may be of interest to Wing researchers.
Some of the surnames found in Wing have their own one-name studies. I’m sure the organisers would love to hear from you!
- Amsden – www.one-name.org/profiles/amsden.html, the first recorded instance of this surname happens to be in Wing!
- Attwood – http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~attwood/
- Bandy – www.bandy.co.uk, includes an article about the commercial premises in Wing in the mid-1900s.
- Battams – www.one-name.org/profiles/battams.html
- Brazell – www.brazellnuts.net
- Culverhouse – www.tribalpages.com/tribes/faroboy, just send a message to Pete to get the password
- Foskett – www.foskett-genealogy.co.uk
- Hales – www.hales.org
- Hedges – www.hedges-study.org.uk
- Howcutt – www.howcutt.org
- Howes – www.howesfamilies.com
- Lathwell – collaborative study via private wiki, email me if you are interested
- Poulton – www.uspoultons.co.uk/
- Shurrock – www.the.shurrock.name
- Strange – www.yourtotalevent.com/people/idxpepl.htm
- Tatham – www.saxonlodge.net/ includes the branch of vicar Francis Henry Tatham
- Tearle – Richard’s Yahoo group devoted to the Tearles, plus Ewart’s own Wing page on his website
- Tyrrell – www.tyrrellfhs.org.uk/
Wing people often came from or moved to neighbouring villages, some of which have their own one-place-studies or websites with historical information.
- Cheddington village has a useful history society page and some old photos on their website
- Cublington also has an excellent history page on their village website
- Leighton-Linslade Past Times can be found at www.leighton-linslade.com
- Some parish register transcriptions for Mentmore (selected surnames only)
- Wingrave School Days takes a fascinating look at the school over time
- Whitchurch one-place-study – email Emma: buckinghamshirevillages at hotmail dot co dot uk
FELLOW WING RESEARCHERS
Some of our fellow Wing researchers also have their own websites, with snippets and photos about their family.
- Basspepper – the Pollard and Wollaston families [MIA April 2014]
- Naylors of Sedgley – the Pease family
To help minimise everyone’s spam I am not planning to list researchers’ email addresses and specific interests on this site, however if you contact me I am happy to pass your email address on to any other researchers that I know are also looking at your families.
OTHER LINKS ABOUT WING
- http://wingparish.org/ – will keep you up-to-date on modern-day Wing
- The Wing Heritage Group undertakes archaeological digs, historical walks and other events and research of historical interest.
- Victoria County History of Buckinghamshire – Wing and the 13th century Priory of Wing
- The Chiltern Open Air Museum has a granary building from Vicarage Lane as part of its collection, but unfortunately no longer has information about that building on its website.