The 1851 Ecclesiastical census indicates 40 individuals attended the Crafton Independent chapel for evening services, the maximum number of sittings available. It was not a building used exclusively for worship – the remarks on this census tell us that it was connected with the Wingrave chapel and services were only occasionally held in Wing.
The Congregational Union Chapel in Littleworth is first mentioned in the 1876 Harrods directory, however according to the 1899 Kellys directory it was in fact built in 1854, rebuilt in 1871, and held 140 people. This earlier date comes about because it was originally a Baptist chapel. It reformed as the Burcott Congregational church around April 1871, spearheaded by the Rev George MOORE (Congregational minister of Wingrave) and William HELEY, and later became the Wing Union Chapel.
The first building committee, which would have overseen the work in 1871, was made of up J HELEY, T.S. HELEY and William HELEY all of Wing, and Mr JENNINGS, Mr SHARMAN and Mr TRUEMAN all of Leighton Buzzard.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies holds a number of records for this chapel, including:
* Church book 1871 to 1913 including admissions and baptisms (NC 5/1)
* Notebook of ministers supplied 1873-1897 (NC 5/2)
* Notebook by Kate HELEY dated 1879-1890 “Scraps and Incidents and Notes of the Lord’s Dealings” (NC 5/11)
* various other minute and account books for the 1870 to 1949 period
George TRUEMAN bequeathed £200 (approx 1/7th of his estate) under his will proved 21 October 1887. This was for the Chapel to invest in consols (in the names of Arthur Somes HELEY and three other trustees), to be used towards the support of the ministry provided for the Chapel.
Wing As It Was (vol 1) has a photo of the women of the congregation (there’s almost 50 of them), taken in the 1880s.
By 1907, Congregational minister Rev. William HARRISON is listed as living at the Manse in Littleworth. Wing As It Was states there were 32 members of the chapel that year. However he’s not listed in subsequent directories, nor is any replacement.
The worshippers here included Joseph Harold RICKARD and Emily Louisa WOOLHEAD, who were married in the chapel on 19 Oct 1915, according to Joseph’s WW1 military record in the WO363 series.
An extension to the building was built in April 1921. The building held monuments to the HELEY family and to George TRUEMAN (the latter as directed under George’s will to be erected after the death of his wife Sarah), however the interior is no longer accessible as chapel operations ceased around 2010. It was sold in late 2011/early 2012, its registration under the Marriages Act 1836 was cancelled by the Registrar-General in October 2012, and was converted to a private residence by 2014.
- Dr Williams Centre for Dissenting Studies (note that they don’t hold a copy of the Dr Williams Register of baptisms)