This photo was published in the Leighton Buzzard Observer in February 1988. A letter from Joe Brand of Wantage Close was subsequently published – the sole surviving member of the group at that time, he advised that the team had won the Marsworth Cup a week or two prior to the photo being taken, and named the men as follows:
Back row standing: P Paxton (trainer), W Corbett, W Woolhead, L Pitchford, E Gates, Joe Brand, G Woodwards, Mr Osborne (chairman), landlord of the Dove Inn [which you can see in the background] P Janes, and L Corbett (secretary).
Middle row seated: J Corbett (linesman), B Roper, W Rowe, V Woodwards, and Mr Fowler of Aylesbury (referee).
Front row seated: M Bolton, L Bandy, W Hounslow, O Horne, and F Rickard.
The Wing Village Football Club was officially founded in 1896.
Other highlights from Wing’s football performances – the team won the Oving Cup in 1911. While HORNE was credited with scoring the sole goal it was noted in the report appearing the Luton Times that the goal was as a result of a melee and no-one was entirely sure who should be credited. Star players around this time were HANCOCK, GORDON and PITCHFORD who were selected for a Rest of the [Leighton and District] League team to play a friendly in 1911 against winners of the league Dunstable Town.
During WWI football grounds and teams in Buckinghamshire made themselves available to troops billetted in the area should they want to have a match. In November 1914 Linslade & District fielded a team against the Yorks & Lancs Regiment – the local team included SMITH, H PITCHFORD and J JORDAN, all of Wing.
During WWII the RAF’s OTU 26 at Wing had a football team which included English internationals Ivor Broadis and Bill Williams, and Wycombe Wanderers players George Jackson and Arthur Hallwood.