This directory is available on CD from ArchiveCD Books
WING (or Wenge) is a parish and large village, 3 miles south-west from Leighton Buzzard station on the main line of the London Midland and Scottish railway, in the Buckingham division of the county, hundred of Cottesloe, petty sessional division of Linslade, union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard (Beds), rural district of Wing, rural deanery of Ivinghoe, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. In former days Wing was a place of some importance; in the year 1255 a charter was granted to Peter de Warren by Henry III for a market every Thursday and a fair for three days at Michaelmas.
The church of All Saints is an interesting edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: the church is reputed to contain Saxon work, a view which has been supported by Sir Gilbert Scott kt. R.A. who particularly instanced as examples the semi-circular arcades, or rather arched perforations in the walls and the construction of the chancel arch: the most interesting feature in the church is its apsidal polygonal chancel, which is considerably elevated above the nave, and has beneath it a crypt of rude construction about eight feet in height: an arcade runs round the outside of the apse, considered by some authorities to be also Saxon work, perhaps of the 11th century; the windows are much later: the nave has arcades of massive arches dividing it from the aisles, and the three westernmost are said to be Saxon, the rest being Early English: there are some good Early Decorated windows and a north doorway of that period, but the tower, font and south porch are Perpendicular; the base of a Norman font may be seen in the south porch: the rood screen has been partially restored: there is another screen in the south aisle.
There are monuments to the family of Fynes, from 1686 to 1758, including one to Mrs. Margaret Fynes, said to be the work of Roubiliac, and several costly memorials to the Dormers, with others ranging from 1542 to 1729; these include in the chancel a fine altar tomb of marble, with kneeling effigies and Corinthian columns supporting a cornice with a shield of arms, to Sir Robert Dormer kt. ob. 1616, and Elizabeth his wife, and around which, until 1850, were two large pews with baluster screens; opposite is another altar tomb with recumbent effigies of marble, partly gilt, under a canopy, supported by columns of Sicilian jasper, with marble caps and adorned with five shields of arms, to Sir William Dormer K.B. ob. 17 May, 1575, and Dorothy (Catesby), his second wife, and below these are figures of children: there are also brasses to Harry Blacknall, 1460, and Agnes, his wife, 1489 and others with effigies to Tankerville Fynes, without date; John Theede, 1622; and Thomas Cotes, “porter at Ascott Hall,” 1648, who is represented by a kneeling effigy, with staff lying at his feet, and a high crowned hat and key behind him; and in the church are also memorials to the families of Redman, 1699-1722; and Bell, 1721-38; to Mrs. Bridgett Neale, 1677; William Theed, gent. and Stephen Welch, vicar, 1774: in 1850 the church was completely restored by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. at a cost of £1,476 and again in 1893 at a cost of £1,700: in 1904 the chapel of St. Catherine in the south aisle was restored in memory of Mr. Charles Cotes J.P. of Burcott, and is used for daily service: the church affords 300 sittings: in the churchyard are remains of a stone cross. The lychgate was erected in the memory of Rev. F.H. Tatham M.A. vicar 1890-1918.
The register dates from the year 1546, and is perfect from that date; there is also an ancient book of churchwardens’ accounts with an inventory of church goods, 1527. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £382, with 225 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1918 by the Rev. Charles Wilton Fisher M.A. of St Edmund Hall, Oxford, who is also rector of Grove. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1864, will seat 350 persons; the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1847, has 200 sittings. A Hall was erected in 1905 at a cost of about £2,000, in memory of the late Mr. Charles Cotes. In 1914 additional rooms were built by Mrs Sassoon in memory of Mr A Sassoon, and now used as a village club, in connection with which is a lending library, in memory of Major Evelyn de Rothschild.
Dormer’s Hospital, founded in 1569 by Dame Dorothy Pelham, for eight men and women, is endowed with land and money invested in Consols producing a total gross income of about £110 yearly. William Robinson’s charity of £2 a year is for clothing; Lady Carnarvon and William Hoare’s charity, arising from the rent of a field of about six acres at Burcott, now let for £23 a year, is for clothing and blankets; William Dent’s of £59 in Consols, is distributed in clothing; Robert Shepherd’s, a rent-charge of £5 10s. arising from land in the parish of Edlesborough, of which £1 a year is paid to the vicar for catechising the children, and 10s. to the vicar of Leighton Buzzard for a sermon on Ascension day, the surplus, if any, is distributed in penny loaves to twenty children attending the church weekly; there is also the Fuel Allotment Charity, consisting of about £7 a year, arising from £268 9s. 1d. £2¾ per Cent. Consols and distributed annually in coals; the Church Land Charity, of about £268 in Consols, derived from the sale of about three acres of land in the parish of Mentmore, which yields over £11 yearly, paid to the churchwardens, and a sum of about £15 arising from Pratt’s charity at Wingrave, which is distributed amongst the poor at the discretion of the trustees. Charlotte Cottage, built in 1884 and supported by Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E. is for the benefit of the sick and poor of the village, and has two beds; an open-air room for consumptives has been added; Miss Mildred Jones, lady superintendent.
Lord Dalmeny D.S.O., M.C., J.P. and Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E. are the principal landowners of Wing proper. The soil is various, clay, sand, gravel and loam; subsoil, clay. The crops are hay, wheat, beans, barley, oats and roots. The area is 5,698 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £10,995; the population in 1911 was 1,695.
BURCOTT is a hamlet 1 mile north. Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E. is the principal landowner.
CRAFTON is a hamlet 2 miles south, and has a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1889. Lord Dalmeny D.S.O., M.C., J.P. is the principal landowner, he has a breeding stud here.
LITTLEWORTH is a hamlet half a mile north, and has a Congregational Union chapel, built in 1854 and rebuilt in 1871, with 150 sittings. Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E. is the chief landowner.
ASCOTT is a hamlet half a mile east. Ascott, the winter residence of Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E. is a Jacobean structure of brick and timber, dating from 1606, and was originally a farm house, but was restored and enlarged about 1874, and again in 1880, 1887, 1893 and 1911, and is now a considerable mansion. The kennels are now occupied by the Whaddon Chase Hunt; the pack comprises 34 couples of foxhounds, and hunts on Tuesdays and alternate Fridays and Saturdays; Aylesbury, Winslow and Leighton Buzzard are convenient centres. The old Hall, which stood in Wing park, has now wholly disappeared, but some traces of the fish ponds, bowling green and moat still remain. In the latter part of the 12th century there existed here a cell of Benedictine monks founded by the Empress Maud, and attached to the Abbey of St . Nicholas of Angers; it was afterwards granted by Henry V. to the priory of St. Mary de la Pre, near St. Albans, and subsequently at the Reformation passed into the hands of the Dormer family.
COTTESLOE is a hamlet in this parish.
Parish Clerk, John Whitman.
Post, M.O., T. & T.E.D. Office Ernest George Thomas Cleaver, sub-postmaster. Letters through Leighton Buzzard.
WING RURAL DISTICT COUNCIL
Meets at the Leighton Buzzard Poor Law Institution monthly, at 11.30 a.m. The District comprises the Bucks parishes in Leighton Buzzard union, viz. :-Cheddington, Edlesborough, Grove, Ivinghoe, Mentmore, Slapton, Soulbury, Stoke Hammond, Wing; also the parishes of Marsworth & Pitstone in Berkhamsted union. The area is 27,770 acres; rateable value, £87,744; the population in 1911 was 6,089, and in 1915 5,564.
Chairman, Frank Warren, Ivinghoe
Clerk, Charles W. B. Calcott, High street, Leighton Buzzard
Deputy Clerk, Maurice Curtice Clifford, Hockliffe road, Leighton Buzzard
Treasurer, T. B. Bassett, The Bank, Leighton Buzzard
Medical Officer of Health, Percy T.H. Stedman M. B.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond, D.P.H.R.C.P.S Lond. Leighton Buzzard
Sanitary Inspector & Surveyor, M. G. Gurney, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard
Clerk to Wing Rural Sub-Committee of Bucks Local Pension Committee, Alfred Blake, Rosebery avenue, Linslade
Police Constable, James Fenemore
Council Elementary School, Wing, erected by the late Lord Overstone in 1850, for 300 children, and enlarged during the period 1885-90, & again at a cost of £860 in 1897; Walter J. Long, master; Miss Lucy Monk, mistress; Mrs Rogers, infants’ mistress
Carriers–William Bone, to Leighton Buzzard, tues, thurs, fri & sat.; Mrs. Julia Lovell, to Leighton Buzzard, tues. thurs. & sat.
|Chignell Alfred Leigh||The Chestnuts T N 150Y4|
|Fisher Rev. Charles Wilton M.A.||vicar, Vicarage|
|Goold Mrs||Gate house T N 143|
|Heley Arthur Somes||Fairview|
|Heley E. Freestone||Tollgate house T N 150Y3|
|Merry Arthur Walker||Moor hills|
|Tatham Miss||The Old ho. T N 150Y2|
|Walker Francis J.||Leighton road|
|Yarborough Victoria Countess of||Wing lodge|
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over
|Ascott Estate Office||John R.T. Tarver J.P., agent|
|Brand Joseph||boot maker|
|Bridgment Samuel||Dove P.H|
|Chignell Alfred Leigh L.RC.P. &. L.R.C.S.Edin., L.F.P. &. S.Glas.||surgeon|
|Cleaver Ernest George Thos.||grocer & registrar of births & deaths for Wing sub-district, Leighton Buzzard union, Post office|
|o Coleman & Horne||farmers, Cottesloe|
|Dimmock John||hair dresser|
|Dollimore Geo.||corn dlr T N 150Y1|
|Edwards Thos.||tinsmith, Moor hills|
|o Fountaine Bernard Whitehall||farmer, Lower Wingbury|
|o Gates Baron John||frmr, Wing park|
|o Gates Harry||farmr. Up. Wingbury|
|Green Walter John||builder|
|Hammerton Albt. Wilde||tobacconist|
|Jordan George||general dealer|
|Lovell Sarah (Mrs.)||grocer|
|Mallett William James||baker|
|o Manning William F.||farmer, West Park farm|
|Maynard George||Cock inn|
|Oakley Christr.||butcher, Vicarage la|
|Oakley Maud (Miss)||shopkeeper|
|Page George & Son||corn merchants|
|Page Joseph||farmer, Glebe farm|
|Pantling John Charles||cycle agent|
|Piper Sydney||general draper|
|Pollard Joseph Andrew||farrier|
|Randall Ann (Mrs.)||shopkeeper|
|Randall Joseph||chimney sweeper|
|Rawlings Hy.||farmer, Old Park farm|
|Reading Room||Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E. trustee; Walter|
|Redrup Norman John||house decorator, wheelwright, carpenter & undertaker|
|Rogers Joseph Charles||baker|
|Roper William||coal dlr Moorhills|
|Village Hall & Club||Ernest Gordon hon. sec|
|Weatherall William H.||Queen’s Head P.H.|
|Wilson Ted||colt breaker|
|Buchanan Major John N.||D.S.O., M.C., Ascott lodge T N 149|
|Rothschild Mrs Leopold de||C.B.E. Ascott; Gunnersbury park, Acton W; & 5 Hamilton place W, London|
|Tarver John R.T.||J.P. agent to Ascott estate T N Leighton Buzzard 132|
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over
|Bodington William||huntsman to the Whaddon Chase Hunt|
|Edgar John||clerk of works to Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E.|
|Jennings John||head gardener to Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E.|
|Mould William||stud groom to Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E.|
|Peaker B.||1st whip to the Whaddon Chase Hunt|
|o Syrett & Carter||frmrs, Waterloo fm|
|Watson Walter E.||farm bailiff to Mrs Leopold de Rothschild C.B.E. Ascott farm|
|Southern Walter Duckett||Burcott cot|
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over
|o Adams Herbert Walter||farmer|
|Ayres Richard||gardener to Lord Dalmeny D.S.O., M.C., J.P.|
|o Bradshaw William Cornelius||farmer, Mount Pleasant farm|
|o Heley Arthur Somes||Burcott farm|
|Lawrence Sl||frmr Burcott Hall frm|
|o Page William||farmer, Burcott lodge T N 150Y5|
|Collins William||dairy farmer|
|Ward William||foreman of Lord Dalmeny’s stud farm|
|Whittenbury Jasper||gamekeeper to Lord Dalmeny D.S.O., M.C., J.P.|
|Faulkner Lawrence B.||brick maker|
|Lovell Julia (Mrs)||carrier|
|Wootton Frank||Sportsman’s Arms P.H.|