1911 Kellys

View original directory pages at Historical Directories of England & Wales

WING (or Wenge) is a parish and large village, 3 miles south-west from Leighton Buzzard station on the main line of the London and North Western railway, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Cottesloe, Linslade petty sessional division, union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard (Beds), rural deanery of Ivinghoe, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. In former days, Wing was a place of some importance; in the year 1255 a charter was granted to Peter de Warren by Henry III. for a market every Thursday and a fair for three days at Michaelmas.

The church of All Saints is an interesting edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: the church is reputed to contain Saxon work, a view which has been supported by the late Sir Gilbert Scott kt. B.A. who particularly instanced as examples the semi-circular arcades, or rather arched perforations in the walls and the construction of the chancel arch: the most interesting feature in the church is its apsidal polygonal chancel, which is considerably elevated above the nave, and has beneath it a crypt of rude construction about eight feet in height: an arcade runs round the outside of the apse, considered by some authorities to be also Saxon work, perhaps of the 11th century; the windows are much later: the nave has arcades of massive arches dividing it from the aisles, and the three westernmost are said to be Saxon, the rest being Early English: there are some good Early Decorated windows and a north doorway of that period, but the tower, font and south porch are Perpendicular; the base of a Norman font may be seen in the south porch: the rood screen has been partially restored: there is another screen in the south aisle.

There are monuments to the family of Fynes, from 1686 to 1758, including one to Mrs. Margaret Fynes, said to be the work of Roubiliac, and severa1 costly memorials to the Dormers, with others ranging from 1542 to 1729; these include in the chancel a fine altar tomb of marble, with kneeling effigies and Corinthian columns supporting a cornice with a shield of arms, to Sir Robert Dormer kt. ob. 1552, and Elizabeth his wife, and around which, until 1850, were two large pews with baluster screens; opposite is another altar tomb with recumbent effigies of marble, partly gilt, under a canopy, supported by columns of Sicilian jasper, with marble cap and adorned with five shields of arms, to Sir William Dormer K.B. ob. 17 May, 1575, and Dorothy (Catesby), his second wife, and below these are figures of children: there are also brasses to Henry Blacknall, 1460, and Agnes, his wife, 1489 and others with effigies to Tankerville Fynes, without date; John Theede, 1622; and Thomas Cotes, “porter at Ascott Hall,” 1648, who is represented by a kneeling effigy, with staff lying at his feet, and a high crowned hat and key behind him; and in the church are also memorials to the families of Redman, 1699-1722; and Bell, 1721-38; to Mrs. Bridgett Neale, 1677; William Theed, gent. and. Stephen Welsh, vicar, 1774: in 1850 the church was completely restored by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott B.A. at a cost of £1,476 and again in 1893 at a cost of £1,700: in 1904 the chapel of St. Catherine in the south aisle was restored in memory of the late Mr. Charles Cotes J.P. of Burcott, and is used for daily service: the church affords 300 sittings: in the churchyard are remains of a stone cross.

The register dates from the year 1546 and is perfect from that date; there is also an ancient book of churchwardens’ accounts with an inventory of church goods, 1527. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £280, with 220 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lady Wantage, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Francis Henry Tatham M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge who is also rural dean of Ivinghoe, surrogate, and rector of Grove. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1864, will seat 350 persons; the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1847, has 200 sittings. A Hall was erected in 1905 at a cost of about £2,000, in memory of the late Mr. Charles Cotes.

Dormer’s Hospital, founded in 1562 by Dame Dorothy Pelham, for eight men and women, is endowed with land, and money invested in Consols now (1911) producing a total gross income of about £110 yearly. William Robinson’s charity is a perpetual rent charge on land at Burcott, of £2 a year for clothing; Lady Carnarvon and William Hoare’s charity, arising from the rent of a field of about six acres at Burcott, now let for £18 a year is for clothing and blankets; William Dent’s of £59 in Consols, is distributed in clothing; Robert Shepherd’s, a rent-charge of £6 6s. 8d. arising from land in the parish of Edlesborough, of which £1 a year is paid to the vicar for catechising the children, and 10S. to the vicar of Leighton Buzzard for a sermon on Ascension day, the surplus, if any, is distributed in penny loaves to twenty children attending the church weekly; there is also the Fuel Allotment Charity, consisting of about £7 a year, arising from £268 9S. 1d. £2 3/4 per Cent. Consols and distributed annually in coals; the Church Land Charity, of about £268 in Consols, derived from the sale of about three acres of land in the parish of Mentmore, which yields over £14 yearly, paid to the churchwardens, and a sum of about £15 arising from Pratt’s charity at Wingrave, which is distributed amongst the poor at the discretion of the trustees. Charlotte Cottage, built in 1884 and supported by Leopold de Rothschild esq. is for the benefit of the sick and poor of the village, and has two beds; an open-air room for consumptives has been recently added; Mrs. James, lady superintendent.

Lady Wantage, who is lady of the manor, and the Earl of Rosebery K.G., K.T., P.C. are the principal landowners of Wing proper. The soil is various, clay, sand, gravel and loam; subsoil, clay. The crops are hay, wheat, beans, barley, oats and roots. The area is 5,698 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £10,847; the population in 1901 was 1,740.

BURCOTT is a hamlet 1 mile north. Lady Wantage who is lady of the manor and Leopold de Rothschild esq. C.V.O. of Ascott, are the principal landowners.

CRAFTON is a hamlet, 2 miles south, and has a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1889. Lady Wantage, who is lady of the manor, and the Earl of Rosebery K.G., K.T., P.C. are the principal land­owners. The Earl has a breeding stud here.

LITTLEWORTH is a hamlet half a mile north, and has a Congregational Union chapel, built in 1854 and rebuilt in 1871, with 150 sittings. Lady Wantage, who is lady of the manor, and Mr. Philip Hart are the chief landowners.

ASCOTT is a hamlet half a mile east. Ascott Park, the winter residence of Leopold de Rothschild esq. C.V.O., D.L., J.P. is a Jacobean structure of brick and timber, dating from 1606, and was originally a farm house, but was restored and enlarged about 1874, and again in 1880, 1887, 1893 and 1911, and is now a considerable mansion. The kennels of Lord Rothschild’s stag-hounds, originally at Mentmore, have been transferred to Ascott: these stag-hounds (numbering 30 couples) meet on Monday and Thursday. Aylesbury and Leighton Buzzard are convenient towns for hunting visitors. The old Hall, which stood in Wing park, has now who1ly disappeared, but some traces of the fish ponds, bowling green and moat still remain. In the latter part of the 12th century there existed here a cell of Benedictine monks founded by the Empress Maud, and attached to the Abbey of St. Nicholas of Angers; it was afterward granted by Henry V. to the priory of St. Mary de la Pre, near St Albans, and subsequently at the Reformation passed into the hands of the Dormer family.

Parish Clerk, Edward Whitman.

Post, M.O.&T. Office.-Ernest George Thomas Cleaver, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Leighton Buzzard at 7 a.m. & 5 p.m.; dispatched at 10.55 a.m. & 6,40 p.m. week days; sundays, arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched 9.25 a.m

Wall Letter Box, Burcott, cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days &. 9 a.m. sundays

Wall Letter Box, Crafton, cleared at 7.20 a.m. & 6 p.m. week days & 8.40 a.m. sundays

Suspended Letter Box, Stewkley road, cleared at 11 a.m. & 6.45 p.m.; sundays, 9.30 a.m

WING RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

Meets at the Leighton Buzzard Workhouse every alternate friday, at 11 a.m. The District comprises the Bucks parishes in Leighton Buzzard union. viz. :-Cheddington, Edlesborough, Grove, Ivinghoe, Linslade, Mentmore, Slapton, Soulbury, Stoke Hammond, Wing; also the parishes of Marsworth & Pitstone in Berkhamsted union. The area is 27,770 acres; rateable value, Lady Day, 1911, £99,239; the population in 1911 was 6,089

Chairman, Philip Hart, Moor Hills, Wing

Officials

Clerk, Charles W. B. Calcott, High street, Leighton Buzzard

Treasurer, Fredk. Bassett, The Bank, Leighton Buzzard

Medical Officer of Health, Percy Stedman M. B.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond., D.P.H.R.C.P.S.Lond. 33 Wing road, Linslade

Sanitary Inspector & Surveyor, M. G. Gurney, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard

Clerk to Wing Rural Sub-Committee of Bucks Local Pension Committee, Alfred Blake, Roseberry avenue, Linslade

Police Constable, James John Bowles

Elementary School, Wing, erected by the late Lord Overstone in 1850, for 300 children, and enlarged during the period 1885-90, & again at a cost of £860 in 1897; average attendance, 100 boys, 112 girls & 70 infants; Walter J. Long, master; Mrs. Ellen Allder, mistress & Miss Alice Greenway, infants’ mistress

Carriers—Joseph Page, to Leighton Buzzard, tues. thurs. fri. & sat.; Mrs. Julia Lovell, to Leighton Buzzard, tues. thurs. &, sat; Reuben Syratt, to Aylesbury, wed. & sat. to Leighton Buzzard on tues.; Mansell Bolton, to Leighton Buzzard, tues. & sat

WING

Biggs William James Rose cottage
Chignell Alfred Leigh  
Greenfell John Pascoe Wing lodge
Gurney Mrs. Sunnyside
Hart Philip J.P. Moor hills
Heley E. Freestone The Old house
Heley Miss Hollybank
Heley Mrs. The Chestnuts
Tatham Rev. Fras. Hy. M.A. Vicarage
Walker Francis J. Vulpera

COMMERCIAL

Adams James land agent to Lady Wantage
Allder James Frederick tailor
Ascott Estate Office William G. W. Garforth, agent; Albert E. Olney, clerk
Bolton Jesse shopkeeper
Bolton Joseph carrier
Bone William shopkeeper
Brand Joseph boot maker
Bridgment Samuel Dove P.H
Burrows John carpenter
Carter John carter
Caves Henry carpenter
Chignell Alfred Leigh L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin., L.F.P. & S.Glas. surgeon
Clarke Elizabeth (Mrs.) shopkeeper
Cleaver Ernest George Thomas grcr. & registrar of births & deaths for Wing sub-district. Leighton Buzzard union, Post office
Coleman & Horn farmers, Cottesloe
Denchfield Ernest wheelwright
Dimmock John hair dresser
Dollimore George corn dealer
Fountaine C. (Mrs.) farmer, Lower Wingbury
Gates Baron Frederick John farmer, Wing Park farm
Gates Baron Jn. frmr. Up. Wingbury
Gates B.J. bricklayer, Vicarage lane
Ginger Rachel (Mrs.) shopkeeper
Green Walter John builder
Hammerton Albt. Wilde tobacconist
Hammerton Charles Henry builder
Heley Brothers millers (steam) & corn & cake merchants
James Kate (Mrs.) matron of Charlotte cottages
Jordan George general dealer
Langley Henry baker
Lawrence Jas. Lee Queen’s Head P.H.
Lovell George grocer
Mallett William James baker
Manning William F. farmer, Wing Park farm
Moxhay Samuel Thomas Cock inn
Newbury William shopkeeper
Oakley Christopher butcher
Page George & Son millers & corn &c. merchants
Page Joseph carrier
Page William hair dresser
Pantling John Charles cycle agent
Piper Sydney general draper
Pitchford Edward bricklayer
Pollard Joseph Andrew farrier
Randall Ann (Mrs.) shopkeeper
Randall George butcher
Randall Joseph chimney sweeper
Reading Room Rev. Francis Henry Tatham M.A. hon. sec
Redrup John wheelwright
Rogers Joseph Charles baker
Sprittles George Thomas blacksmith
Syratt Reuben carrier
Tearle Levi blacksmith
Tuffney William farm bailiff to Baron F.J. Gates
Tyrrell James shopkeeper
Village Hall John T. Tarver esq. hon. sec
Whitman Edward grocer
Wilson Ted colt breaker
Windmill John farmer, Old Park frm

ASCOTT

Rothschild Leopold de C.V.O., D.L., J.P. Ascott park; Gunnersbury park, Acton W; 5 Hamilton place; Turf club W; Marlborough club S W & Bachelors’ club W, London
Tarver John T. private secretary to Leopold de Rothschild esq
Gaskin William huntsman to Lord Rothschild’s Stag Hounds, The Kennels
Doggett William 1st whip to Lord Rothschild’s Stag Hounds, The Kennels
Heady Joseph clerk of works to Leopold de Rothschild esq
Heley E. Freestone farmer, Waterloo farm
Jennings John head gardener to Leopold de Rothschild esq
Mould William stud groom to Leopold de Rothschild esq
Watson William farm bailiff to Leopold de Rothschild esq. Ascott farm

BURCOTT

Cotes Lady Edith  
Garforth William G.W.  
Adams Herbert Walter farmer
Ayres Richard gardener to Lady Edith Cotes
Bradshaw William Cornelius farmer, Mount Pleasant farm
Clarke Thomas carter
Dimmock William horse breaker
Faulkner John baker
Heley Arth. Somes Burcott Hall frm
Page William farmer, Burcott lodge
Woodward George Six Bells P.H.

CRAFTON

Collins William dairy farmer
Jeffs Albert shopkeeper
Luther George foreman of Earl of Rosebery’s breeding stud establishment

LITTLEWORTH

Wilson Albert H. (Waldhaus)  
Bolton Mansell carrier
Faulkner Lawrence B. brick maker
Huntsman Edward Sinkler Sportsman’s Arms P.H.
Lovell Julia (Mrs.) carrier
Page William butcher