View original directory pages at Historical Directories of England & Wales
WING (or Wenge) is a parish and large village, 3 miles south-west from Leighton Buzzard station on the main line of the London and North Western railway, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Cottesloe, Linslade petty sessional division, union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard (Beds), rural deanery of Ivinghoe, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. In former days Wing was a place of some importance; in the year 1255 a charter was granted to Peter de Warren by Henry III. for a market every Thursday and a fair for three days at Michaelmas.
The church of All Saints is an interesting edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: the church is reputed to contain Saxon work, a view which has been supported by the late Sir Gilbert Scott kt. B.A. who particularly instanced as examples the semi-circular arcades, or rather arched perforations in the walls and the construction of the chancel arch: the most interesting feature in the church is its apsidal polygonal chancel, which is considerably elevated above the nave, and has beneath it a crypt of rude construction about eight feet in height: an arcade runs round the outside of the apse, considered by some authorities to be also Saxon work, perhaps of the 11th century; the windows are much later: the nave has arcades of massive arches dividing it from the aisles, and the three westernmost are said to be Saxon, the rest being Early English: there are some good Early Decorated windows and a north doorway of that period, but the tower, font and south porch are Perpendicular; the base of a Norman font may be seen in the south porch: the rood screen has been partially restored: there is another screen in the south aisle.
There are monuments to the family of Fynes from 1686 to 1758, including one to Mrs. Margaret Fynes, said to be the work of Roubiliac, and several costly memorials to the Dormers, with others ranging from 1542 to 1729; these include in the chancel a fine altar tomb of marble, with kneeling effigies and Corinthian columns supporting a cornice with a shield of arms, to Sir Robert Dormer kt. ob. 1552, and Elizabeth his wife, and around which, until 1850, were two large pews with baluster screens; opposite is another altar tomb with recumbent effigies of marble, partly gilt, under a canopy, supported by columns of Sicilian jasper, with marble caps and adorned with five shields of arms, to Sir William Dormer K.B. ob. 17 May, 1575, and Dorothy (Catesby), his second wife, and below these are figures of children: there are also brasses to Harry Blacknall, 1460, and Agnes, his wife, 1489 and others with effigies to Tankerville Fynes, without date; John Theede, 1622; and Thomas Cotes, “porter at Ascott Hall,” 1648, who is represented by a kneeling effigy, with staff lying at his feet, and a high crowned hat and key behind him; and in the church are also memorials to the families of Redman, 1699-1722; and Bell, 1721-38; to Mrs. Bridgett Neale, 1677; William Theed, gent, and Stephen Welch, vicar, 1774: in 1850 the church was completely restored by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott B.A. at a cost of £1,476 and again in 1893 at a cost of £1,700: in 1904 the chapel of St. Catherine in the south aisle was restored in memory of the late Mr. Charles Cotes J.P. of Burcott, and is used for daily service: the church affords 300 sittings: in the churchyard are remains of a Stone cross.
The register dates from the year 1546, and is perfect from that day; there is also an ancient book of churchwardens’ accounts with an inventory of church goods, 1527. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £280, with 220 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lady Wantage, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Francis Henry Tatham M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also rural dean of Ivinghoe, surrogate, and rectar of Grove. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1864, will seat 350 persons; the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1847, has 200 sittings.
Dormer’s Hospital, founded in 1562, by Dame Dorothy Pelham, for eight men and women, is endowed with land, and money invested in Consols now (1907) producing a total gross income of about £110 yearly. William Robinson’s charity is a perpetual rent charge on land at Burcott, of £2 a year for clothing; Lady Carnarvon and William Hoare’s charity, arising from the rent of a field of about six acres at Burcott, now let for £18 a year is for clothing and blankets; William Dent’s of £59 in Consols, is distributed in clothing; Robert Shepherd’s, a rent-charge of £6 68. 8d. arising from land in the parish of Edlesborough, of which £1 a year is paid to the vicar for catechising the children, and 10s. to the vicar of Leighton Buzzard for a sermon on Ascension day, the surplus, if any, is distributed in penny loaves to twenty children attending the church weekly; there is also the Fuel Allotment Charity, consisting of about £7 a year, arising from £268 9s. 1d. £2 3/4 per Cent. Consols and distributed annually in coals; the Church Land Charity, of about £268 in Consols, derived from the sale of about three acres of land in the parish of Mentmore, which yields over £14 yearly, paid to the churchwardens, and a sum of about £15 arising from Pratt’s charity at Wingrave, which is distributed amongst the poor at the discretion of the trustees.
Wing Lodge, the residence of Walter H. Preston esq. near the church and erected in 1874, is a mansion of white brick in the French style, with gables and abutments of dark brick and highly finished. Charlotte Cottage, built in 1884 and supported by Leopold de Rothschild esq. is a hospital for the sick poor of the village, and has two beds; Mrs. James, lady superintendent.
Lady Wantage, who is lady of the manor, and the Earl of Rosebery K.G., K.T., P.C. are the principal landowners of Wing proper. The soil is various, day, sand, gravel and loam; subsoil, clay. The crops are hay, wheat, beans, barley, oats and roots. The area is 5,698 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £10,752; the population in 1901 was 1,740.
BURCOTT is a hamlet 1 mile north. Lady Wantage, who is lady of the manor and Leopold de Rothschild esq. C.V.O. of Ascott are the principal landowners.
CRAFTON is a hamlet, 2 miles south, and has a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1889. Lady Wantage, who is lady of the manor, and the Earl of Rosebery K.G., K.T., P.C. are the principal landowners. The Earl has a breeding stud here.
LITTLEWORTH is a hamlet half a mile north, and has a Congregational Union chapel, built in 1854 and rebuilt in 1871, with 150 sittings. Lady Wantage, who is lady of the manor, and Mr. Philip Hart are the chief landowners.
ASCOTT is a hamlet half a mile east. Ascott Park, the winter residence of Leopold de Rothschild esq. C.V.O., D.L., J.P. is a Jacobean structure of brick and timber, dating from 1606, and was originally a farm house, but was restored and enlarged about 1874, and again in 1880, 1887 and 1893 and is now a considerable mansion. The kennels of Lord Rothschild’s staghounds, originally at Mentmore, have been transferred to Ascott: these staghounds (numbering 30 couples) meet on Monday and Thursday. Aylesbury and Leighton Buzzard are convenient towns for hunting visitors. The old Hall has now wholly disappeared, but some traces of the fish ponds, bowling green and moat still remain. In the latter part of the 12th century there existed here a cell of Benedictine monks founded by the Empress Maud, and attached to the Abbey of St. Nicholas of Angers; it was afterwards granted by Henry V. to the priory of St. Mary de la Pre, near St. Albans, and subsequently at the Reformation passed into the hands of the Dormer family.
Parish Clerk, Edward Whitman.
Post, M. & T.0., T.M.0., E.D., P.P., S.B. & A. & I.O.- Ernest George Thomas Cleaver, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Leighton Buzzard at 7.15 a.m. & 5 p.m.; dispatched at 11.25 a.m. & 6.45 p.m. week days; sundays arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched 9.25 a.m
Wall Letter Box, Burcott, cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days & 9 a.m. sundays
Wall Letter Box, Crafton, cleared at 7.50 a.m. & 6 p.m. week days & 8.40 a.m. sundays
WING RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL
Meets at the Leighton Buzzard Workhouse every alternate friday, at 11 a.m.
The District comprises the Bucks parishes in Leighton Buzzard union, viz. :-Cheddington, Edlesborough, Grove, Ivinghoe, Linslade, Mentmore, Slapton, Soulbury, Stoke Hammond, Wing. The area is 26,695 acres; rateable value in Sept. 1906, £97,965; the population in 1901 was 7,630.
Chairman, Philip Hart, Moor Hill, Wing
Clerk, Charles W. B. Calcott, Church square, Leighton Buzzard
Treasurer, Fredk. Bassett, The Bank, Leighton Buzzard
Medical Officer of Health, Percy Stedman M.B.Lond. Warwick house, Wing road, Linslade
Sanitary Inspector & Surveyor, George Gurney, Heath road, Leighton Buzzard
Elementary School, Wing, erected by the late Lord Overstone in 1850, for 300 children, and enlarged during the period 1885-90, & again at a cost of £860 in 1897; average attendance, 100 boys, 114 girls & 78 infants; Arthur W. Molineux, master; Mrs. Ellen Allder, mistress &; Miss Alice Greenway, infants mistress
Carriers—Joseph Page, to Leighton Buzzard, tues. thurs. & sat.; Mrs. Lovell, to Leighton Buzzard, tues. thurs. & sat.; Reuben Syratt, to Aylesbury, wed. & sat. to Leighton Buzzard on tues.; Mansell Bolton, to Leighton Buzzard, tue & sat
|Biggs William James||Rose cottage|
|Chignell Alfred Leigh|
|Hart Philip||Moor hills|
|Heley E. Freestone||The Old house|
|Heley James William||Hollybank|
|Heley Mrs.||The Chestnuts|
|Preston Walter H.||Wing lodge|
|Tatham Rev. Fras. Hy. M.A.||Vicarage|
|Walker Francis J.||Vulpera|
|Adams James||estate agent to Lady Wantage|
|Allder James Frederick||tailor|
|Baker Joseph||hair dresser|
|Brand Joseph||boot maker|
|Carter John, jun.||shopkeeper|
|Carter John||shopkeeper & carter|
|Chignell Alfred Leigh||L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin., L.F.P. & S.Glas surgeon|
|Cleaver Ernest George Thomas||grcr. & registrar of births & deaths for Wing sub-district, Leighton Buzzard union, Post office|
|Coleman & Horn||farmers, Cottesloe|
|Coleman Margt. (Mrs.)||fancy draper|
|Denchfield Seth||wheelwright & steam thrashing machine owner|
|Dimmock John||hair dresser|
|Dollimore George||corn dealer|
|Fountaine C. (Mrs.)||farmer, Lower Wingbury|
|Gates Baron Frederick John||grazier, Wing Park farm|
|Gates Baron Jn.||frmr. Up. Wingbury|
|Gates B. J.||bricklayer, Vicarage lane|
|Ginger Rachel (Mrs.)||butcher|
|Green Walter John||builder|
|Green William||wood carver|
|Guess Jane (Mrs.)||shopkeeper|
|Hammerton Charles Henry||builder|
|Hart Philip||estate agent & auctioneer & land agent to Leopold de Rothschild esq. J.P. Moor Hills|
|Heley Brothers||millers (steam) & corn & cake merchants|
|James Kate (Mrs.)||matron of Charlotte cottages|
|Jordan George||general dealer|
|Jordan Henry||licensed hawker|
|Lawrence Jas. Lee||Queen’s Head P.H|
|Mallett William James||baker|
|Manning William F.||farmer, West Park farm|
|Mayne William Joseph||builder|
|Page George & Son||steam miller|
|Page Elizabeth (Mrs.)||shopkeeper|
|Piper Sydney||general draper|
|Pollard Mrs. Ann Susan||blacksmith|
|Pollard Joseph Andrew||R.S.S. farrier|
|Randall Frederick||chimney sweeper|
|Rogers Joseph Charles||baker|
|Smith Harry||Cock inn|
|Stevens Charles||Dove P.H|
|Tuffney William||farm bailiff to Baron F. J. Gates|
|Wilson Ted||colt breaker|
|Windmill John||farmer, Old Park frm|
|Wing Village Cricket Club||Samuel Smith, hon. sec|
|Rothschild Leopold de C.V.O., D.L., J.P.||Ascott park & 5 Hamilton place, London W|
|Prentice John||Waterloo farm|
|Tarver John T.||private secretary to Leopold de Rothschild esq|
|Gaskin William||huntsman to Lord Rothschild, The Kennels|
|Doggett William||1st whip to Lord Rothschild, The Kennels|
|Heady Joseph||house carpenter to Leopold de Rothschild esq|
|Heley E. Freestone||farmer, Waterloo farm|
|Jennings John||head gardener to Leopold de Rothschild esq|
|Mould William||head groom to Leopold de Rothschild esq|
|Watson William||farm bailiff to Leopold de Rothschild esq. Ascott fam|
|Cotes Lady Edith|
|Edmunds Charles Claude|
|Ayres Richard||gardener to Lady Edith Cotes|
|Adams Herbert Walter||farmer|
|Bradshaw William Cornelius||farmer, Mount Pleasant farm|
|Heley Arth. Somes||Burcott Hall frm|
|Vallentine Geo.||farmer, Burcott lodge|
|Woodward Thomas||Six Bells P.H|
|Collins William||dairy farmer|
|Griffith Joseph||master of Earl of Rosebery’s breeding stud establishment|
|Harrison Rev. William (Congregational)||The Manse|
|Wilson Albert H. (Waldhaus)|
|Faulkner Lawrence B.||brickmaker|
|Sinkler Edwd.||Sportsman’s Arms P.H|