Original directory available at Ancestry
WING (or Wenge) is a parish, 3 miles south-west from the London and North Western Railway station at Leighton Buzzard, in the hundred of Cottesloe, union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Mursley (second portion), archdeaconry of Buckingham, and diocese of Oxford. The church of All Saints is an ancient building, and was restored in 1850, under the superintendence of G. G. Scott, Esq. R.A.; it consists of nave, aisles, chancel, with tower and 6 bells, and appears to be of the 15th century, but there are remains of nearly every period of English Architecture; there are two or three Late Decorated windows in the chancel, and there are Early English, or lancet, windows both in the chancel and in the lower part of the tower; the tower and chancel arches with the sedilia and piscina are also of that period: it contains some handsome monuments of the Dormer family.
The register dates from the year 1546. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of Lord Overstone, and held by the Rev. Peter Thomas Ouvry, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here is a Parochial school for boys and girls, erected in 1850 by Lord Overstone; also almshouses, called Dormer’s Hospital, founded in 1562 by Dame Dorothy Pelham, for eight men and women, endowed by land and money payments. The other charities in the parish are those of William Robinson, a perpetual rent-charge on land at Burcot of £2 a year; Lady Carnarvon and William Hoare, arising from the rent of a field of six acres at Burcot, now let for £36 a year; William Dent, £59 New Three per Cent. Aunuities; the proceeds are distributed in clothing to the poor annually; Robert Shepherd, a rent charge of £5 16s. 8d. arising from land in the parish of Edlesborough, from which £1 a year is paid to the vicar for catechising the children, 10s. to the vicar of Leighton Buzzard for a sermon on Ascension-Day; the rest is distributed in penny loaves to twenty children, attending the church weekly; there is also the Fuel Allotment Charity, arising from £268 9s. 1d. consols, distributed annually in coals; and the Church Land Charity, which arises from the proceeds of the sale of about three acres of land in the parish of Mentmore; the dividends are paid to the churchwardens; a sum of £12 1s. 4d., arising from a charity at Wingrave, is also distributed among the poor, at the discretion of the trustees.
Lord Overstone, who is Lord of the manor, and Baron de Rothschild are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and gravel, subsoil, clay. The chief crops are hay, wheat and beans. The population in 1861 was 1,504; the area is 5,605 acres; rateable value,£9,600.
ASCOT is a hamlet, half a mile west. Lord Overstone, who is lord of the manor, Baron M de Rothschild and Frederick Straw, Esq., are the principal landowners.
BURCOT hamlet is one mile north. Lord Overstone, who is lord of the manor, and Fynes Clinton, Esq., are the principal landowners.
CRAFTON hamlet is 3 miles south. Baron M de Rothschild is lord of the manor and sole landowner.
LITTLEWORTH hamlet is half a mile north. Lord Overstone is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Parish Clerk, John Windmill
Post Office – Richard Attwood, receiver. Letters arrive through Leighton Buzzard at 7.30am, dispatched at 6.25pm week days, 9am sundays. Leighton Buzzard is the nearest money order office.
Registrar of Births & Deaths for the District of Wing, William Mortimer
Parochial School (boys &, girls), Wing, James Cross, master, Infants, Miss Field, mistress
|Heley Mr Thomas|
|Heley William, esq|
|Ouvry Rev. Peter Thos. M.A., J.P.||vicar|
|Rothschild Baron Ferdinand de||Wing cottage & 143 Piccadilly, London W|
|Webster Alexander Lowe, esq|
|Attwood Richard||“Cock” & post office|
|Bedford Joseph||boot & shoe maker|
|Capp Thomas||boot & shoe maker|
|Cook Chas.||farm baliff to Wm. Cox, esq|
|Denchfield Levi||machinist & ironfounder|
|Denchfield Seth||“Royal Oak”|
|Dimmock Thomas||carrier & coal dealer|
|Foster Henry & Thomas||blacksmiths|
|Gates John||farmer & cattle dealer, Wing Park farm|
|Harris Richard||miller & farmer, Wing mill, & brick, roof & floor tile & draining pipes manufacturer, Littleworth|
|Heley Brothers||maltsters & corn & cake merchants & farmers, Burcot|
|Hounslow Henry||fruiterer & skin & fur dealer|
|Mortimer William||registrar of births & deaths for Wing district|
|Newett John||farm baliff to Mrs Jane Woodman, Church farm|
|Sale Thomas Ginger||butcher|
|Webster Alexander Lowe||architect & local agent for Lord Overstone|
|Windmill Henry Charles||“Queen’s Head”|
|Wipham Mary (Mrs)||shopkeeper|
|Brandon Joseph||grazier & blacksmith|
|Hart Philip||farmer & auctioneer|
|Prentice Martha (Mrs)||farmer|
|Heley Mr James William|
|Adams Henry Charles||farmer|
|Bone Joseph||sheep dealer|
|Denchfield Hannah (Mrs)||“Six Bells” & shopkeeper|
|Heley Brothers||farmers, maltsters & corn & cake merchants, & at Wing|
|Smith Jane (Mrs)||farmer|
|Vallentine Robert||farmer, Burcott ldg|
|Collins Mary (Mrs)||farmer|
|Markham Charles||master of Baron Rothschild’s breeding stud establishment|
|Willison Ann (Mrs)||farmer|
|Harris Richard||brick, roof & floor tile & draining pipes manufacturer, & farmer & miller, Wing mill|
|Sayell Edward||beer retailer|