1864 Post Office

View original directory pages at Historical Directories of England & Wales

WING (or Wenge) is a parish, 3 miles south-west from the London and North-Western station at Leighton Buzzard, in the union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard, hundred of Cottesloe, rural deanery of Mursley (second portion), archdeaconry of Buckingham, and diocese of Oxford. The church of All Saints is an ancient building, and has been lately restored, under the superintendence of G. G. Scott, Esq.; it is of different periods; some portion of it is considered by Mr. Scott to be Saxon, and it contains some handsome monuments of the Dormer family. The parish registers are complete from 1647. The living is a vicarage, annual value £400, with residence, in the gift of Lord Overstone; the incumbent is the Rev. Peter Thomas Ouvry, M.A. Wing Park is still enclosed, but its mansion, Ascot House, for many years the seat of the Dormers, and inherited from them by the Earls of Chesterfield, has been pulled down. The hamlets of this parish are Ascot, Burcot, Crafton, and Littleworth.

Here is a Parochial school for boys and girls, erected in 1850 by Lord Overstone; also almshouses, called Dormer’s Hospital, founded in 1562 by Dame Dorothy Pelham, for eight men and women, endowed by land and money payments. The other charities in the parish are those of WilIiam Robinson, a perpetual rent-charge on land at Burcot of £2 a year; Lady Carnarvon and William Hoare, arising from the rent of a field of six acres at Burcot, now let for £36 a year; William Dent, £59 New Three per Cent. Aunuities; the proceeds are distributed in clothing to the poor annually; Robert Shepherd, a rent charge of £5 16s. 8d. arising from land in the parish of Eddlesborough, from which £1 a year is paid to the vicar for catechizing the children, 10s. to the vicar of Leighton Buzzard for a sermon on Ascension-Day; the rest is distributed in penny loaves to twenty children, attending the church weekly; there is also the Fuel Allotment Charity, arising from £268 9s. 1d. consols, distributed annually in coals; and the Church Land Charity, which arises from the proceeds of the sale of about three acres of land in the parish of Mentmore; the dividends are paid to the churchwardens; a sum of £12 1s. 4d., arising from a charity at Wingrave, is also distributed among the poor, at the discretion of the trustees. The population in 1861 was 1,504; the acreage is 5,605; rateable value, £9,000.

Parish Clerk, John Windmill.
Parochial School (boys &, girls), Wing, James Cross, mastr
Registrar of Births & Deaths for the District of Wing, William Mortimer, Wing

Wing

Massey Oliver, esq. Wing cottage
Ouvry Rev. Peter Thos. M.A., J.P. vicar
Welburn Rev. Dale John curate
Attenborough Edwin farmer
Attwood Richard “Cock” & post office
Bandy William shopkeeper
Bedford Joseph boot & shoe maker
Biggs James farmer
Bolton William carpenter
Brown Thomas farrier
Capp Stephen yeoman
Capp Thomas boot & shoe maker
Cleaver George shopkeeper
Coles Henry shopkeeper
Cook Charles farm baliff to Wm. Cox
Denchfield George carpenter
Denchfield Levi machinist & ironfounder
Denchfield Seth “Royal Oak”
Dimmock Thomas carrier & coal dealer
Dolamore John shopkeeper
Foster Henry & Thomas blacksmiths
Fountaine Bernard farmer
Gates John farmer & cattle dealer, Wing park farm
Hardwick Joseph carpenter
Harris Rd. miller & farmer, Wing mill
Hedges Richard farmer
Heley William maltster, corn dealer & grazier
Mallett Thomas baker
Hounslow Henry fruiterer, & skin & fur dealer
Mortimer William registrar of births & deaths for Wing district
Munday William shopkeeper
Newett John farm baliff to Mrs Jane Woodman, Church farm
Paine James farmer
Rickard Bernard bricklayer
Rogers Henry baker
Rogers Joseph “Dove”
Rose George farmer
Sale Thomas Ginger butcher
Sear Joseph bricklayer
Thorne Thomas shopkeeper
Webster Alexander local agent for the Right Hon. Lord Overstone
Windmill Catherine (Miss) & Henry “Queen’s Head”
Windmill John shopkeeper
Worster Thomas baker
Young John tailor

Letters through Leighton Buzzard

Ascot

Brandon Joseph grazier & blacksmith
Hamilton – bricklayer
Hart Thomas farmer
Prentice Martha (Mrs) farmer
Stevens Alfred grazier

Letters through Leighton Buzzard which is the nearest money order office

Burcot

Adams Henry Charles farmer
Biggs Edward farmer
Bone Joseph sheep dealer
Denchfield Hannah (Mrs) “Six Bells” & shopkeeper
Faulkner Joseph baker
Hart Philip farmer & auctioneer
Heley James & Thomas farmers, corn & oil cake dealers
Jennings John shopkeeper
Smith Jane (Mrs) farmer
Valentine Robert farmer, Burcott ldg

Letters through Leighton Buzzard which is the nearest money order office

Crafton

Collins Mary (Mrs) farmer
Markham Charles master of Baron Rothschild’s breeding stud establishment
Willison Robert farmer

Letters through Leighton Buzzard which is the nearest money order office

Littleworth

Dimmock William carpenter & shopkpr
Page William butcher
Rogers Edmund beer retailer, butcher & shopkeeper

Letters through Leighton Buzzard which is the nearest money order office