1863 Dutton & Allen

View original directory pages at Google Books

WING (or Wenge) is a parish containing the hamlets of Ascott, Burcott, Cottesloe, and Crafton, in the hundred of Cottesloe, union of Leighton Buzzard, from which town it is situate 4 miles S.W. According to Tanner, the church and other lands were given by the Empress Matilda to the Monastery of St Nicholas at Angiers in France, from whence a cell of Benedictine Monks settled at a hamlet, since called Ascott, in this parish. After the Parliament had dissolved the alien priories, by 4th Henry V., this was granted to the Prioress and Nuns de Pratis, near St Albans, which was suppressed by Cardinal Wolsey, in order to be annexed to his commendatory Abbey of St Alban, but he afterwards obtained a grant of it for himself. Upon his attainder this manor and rectory were given, 23rd Henry VIII., to John Pen, and by the 35th Henry VIII. were granted, as parcel of the late Abbey of St Alban, to Sir John Dormer. The Manor has been said to have once belonged to the Hampdens, but this is highly improbable.

The church is a curious ancient structure, of various styles of architecture. The arcades between the aisles and nave are Norman, the chancel is a polygonal apse with a crypt beneath. There are some fine monuments of the Dormers, once lords of the manor. Sir Robert Dormer’s effigy, date 1575, is in gilt armour; a brass of 1648 is inscribed to “Old Thomas Cotes, sometime porter at Ascott Hall”. The living is a vicarage, annual value about £350, in the gift of Lord Overstone; the Rev. Peter Thomas Ouvry, M.A., incumbent.

A National School for boys and girls was erected in 1850 by Lord Overstone. Almshouses for eight poor persons was founded in 1596 and endowed by Lady Pelham, and afterwards by Sir William Stanhope. The parish comprises an area of 5310 acres; population in 1861, 1504.

Wing

Hart Rev John, M.A.  
Ouvry Rev Peter Thos. M.A. vicar
Massey Oliver, esq.  
Welburn Rev. Dale John curate
Attwood Richard “Cock Inn”
Bedford Joseph boot & shoe maker
Bolton William carpenter
Brown Thos veterinary surgeon
Capp Thos boot & shoe maker
Cleaver George shopkeeper
Coles Henry shopkeeper
Denchfield George carpenter
Denchfield Levi carpenter
Dollimer John shopkeeper
Foster Henry & Thomas blacksmiths
Fountain Richard farmer, Wing Berry
Ginger Thomas butcher
Hardwick Joseph carpenter
Harris Richd. miller & farmer
Heley Wm farmer & maltster
Mallett Thomas baker
Mortimer William registrar of births & deaths for the Wing
district
Munday William shopkeeper
Paine Jas farmer, Wing Berry
Rogers Henry baker
Rogers Joseph “Dove Inn”
Randall David tailor
Smith Thomas horse dealer
Webster Alexander baliff to Right Hon. Lord Overstone
Windmill Henry Chas “Queen’s Head”
Windmill John shopkeeper
Worster Thomas baker
Young John tailor

Ascott

Stevens Alfred, esq  
Brandon Joseph farmer & blacksmith
Gates John farmer
Gates John “Royal Oak”
Hart Thomas & Sons farmers and auctioneers
Prentice Martha (Mrs) farmer

Burcott

Adams Henry Charles farmer
Biggs Edward farmer
Bone Joseph farmer and dealer
Denchfield Hannah (Mrs) “Six Bells”
Faulkner Joseph baker
Heley Thomas farmer
Smith Jane (Mrs) farmer
Valentine Robert farmer

Cottesloe

Cook Charles farmer
Hedges Richd farmer
Rose Geo. farmer, Tinker’s hole

Crafton

Collins John farmer
Markham – stud-groom to Baron Rothschild
Willison Robert farmer

Littleworth

Dimmock William carpenter
Page William butcher
Rickard Bernal bricklayer
Rogers Edmund butcher & beer retailer

Letters may be posted at Wing, but are received and dispatched
through Leighton Buzzard.

Registrar of Births and Deaths for the District of Wing,
William Mortimer, Wing
Parish Clerk, John Windmill
Places of Worship:-
Church, Rev Peter Thomas Ouvry, incumbent
Methodist Chapel, ministers various
Primitive Methodist Chapel, ministers various
Baptist Chapel, Littleworth, ministers various