View original directory at Internet Archive
WING is a small village in the same hundred as Ivinghoe, about 5 miles N. by W. from that town, and 3 S.W. from Leighton Buzzard (Bedfordshire), situated on the road from the latter town to Aylesbury. The chief, indeed, the only ornament of this village, is its handsome church of All Saints; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of Lord Overstone; the Rev. Peter Thomas Ouvrey is the present incumbent. There are almshouses founded by the Dormer family, for eight poor families, with a small weekly allowance. The parish, which is extensive, contained in 1831, 1,152 inhabitants, and in 1841, 1,274.
POST – Receiving House at Richard Attwood’s, the Cock Inn – Letters from London and all parts arrive (by foot-post from Leighton Buzzard) every morning at seven, and are despatched thereto at the same hour in the evening.
Nobility, Gentry and Clergy
|Ouvry Rev. Peter Thomas||Wing|
|Travers John J, Esq||Wing|
|Jno Windmill||Queen’s Head|
|Thos Prentice||Royal Oak|
|Thos Denchfield||Six Bells, Burkitt|
Shopkeepers & Traders
|Bedford Jos||boot & shoe maker|
|Beasley Francis||miller and baker and beer retailer|
|Brown William||chair maker|
|Brownett John||boot and shoe maker|
|Capp Thos||boot & shoe maker|
|Denchfield Geo||carpenter & wheelwright|
|Denchfield Geo jun||carpenter|
|Mortimer William||registrar of births and deaths|
|Rogers Joseph||beer retailer and butcher|
|Thorn George||tea dealer|
|Windmill Thomas||baker and wheelwright|
Conveyance by Railway
On the London and North Western Line – the nearest stations are at Chedingstone; two miles from Ivinghoe, Tring, 3 1/2 miles distant, and Leighton Buzzard, 3 miles from Wing.