View original directory pages at Historical Directories of England & Wales
WING is a small village and parish, in the same hundred as Ivinghoe, about 5 miles N. by W. from that town, and rather more than 3 S.W. from Leighton Buzzard (Bedfordshire), situated near the road from the latter town to Aylesbury. The chief, indeed the only ornament of this village is its handsome church of St Peter: the benefice, which is a vicarage, in the gift of the Earl of Chesterfield, is at present enjoyed by the Rev. John Felix. The population of the parish, as taken at the last census (1841) was 1,052.
Nobility, Gentry and Clergy
|Felix Rev. John|
|Queen’s Head||William Windmill|
Shopkeepers and Traders
|Biggs James||shopkeeper, &c|
|Bone Barnet||beer retailer|
|Collyer James||parish clerk|
|Mortimer William||school master and registrar of births and deaths|
To CAMBRIDGE a Coach (from Oxford) passes through Wing every forenoon (Sunday excepted) at eleven; goes through Leighton-Buzzard, Woburn, Bedford and St. Neots.
To OXFORD a Coach (from Cambridge) passes through Wing every afternoon (Sunday excepted) at about half-past three; goes through Aylesbury and Thame.